Story #1

Story #1

Utah City
Salt Lake City

Professional Status
Employee

Influence of Books and/or Reading
When I was in the 2nd grade I was diagnosed as having hearing loss. The doctors feared I would struggle learning to read and might need to enroll in a school for the deaf. This concerned my mother greatly, as she was a teacher and worried that removing me from public school could create a lifelong trajectory where I might not view myself as capable and equal to my peers in public schools.

For a long time, she would have me read aloud to her every night. I have a vivid memory of reading to her about the canals of Venice. This memory of the canals of Venice is a special one to me because it was the first time I can recall where the words, strung together in a particular order came to life and painted huge vivid pictures in my mind. Years later, my first visit to  Europe started with a stop in Venice to see the canals I remembered reading about so many years before.

Outside Factors that Influence Reading for Work
A primary factor is: do I have to read it? In other words, is it instructional and/or technical in nature? Will it facilitate the task at hand or fulfill the learning objective. If I don’t *have* to read it, the question then becomes ‘does it interest me?’, if yes I’ll certainly read it, if not I’m not likely to.

Outside Factors that Influence Reading for Leisure
Primarily based on interest in a given subject. My reading habits have shifted over the years from heavily fiction to, increasingly, non-fiction. I’m wondering if at some point the pendulum swings back in the opposite direction.

No Comments

Post A Comment